Sunday, October 24, 2010

8th Annual Toronto Zombie Walk

Yesterday, the 8th annual Toronto Zombie Walk took place.  I couldn't attend as I was at the first annual Toronto Speculative Fiction Colloquium (which was awesome) but I did see a lot of zombies roaming the rain-soaked streets in the evening.
Toronto has a very large and growing horror community.  We've got the fantastic Rue Morgue Magazine, the After Dark Film Festival and zombie master George A. Romero has even recently moved to Toronto and shot has last three films here.

The very first Zombie Walk was organized by the terrific Thea Munster in Toronto in 2003. That year there were only six undead walkers but in the intervening years the event has grown hugely popular.  Last year, over 6000 zombies walked in Toronto!  The event has also become worldwide with even many small cities and towns organizing their own Zombie Walks.
I was thrilled to participate in Vancouver's first Zombie Walk in 2005 and have enjoyed attending the Toronto walks since I've been back in Ontario.  I was sorry to miss this year's event but check out this video that I shot at the TIFF in 2009 when George A. Romero was on hand to celebrate the premiere of his Survival of the Dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment